Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pre-Race Day And Up For It

Saturday: Great trainer wanted me out today for a 30min run, which I couldn't make due to family commitments. I didn't mind too much, though, I was happy to make the legs 'starve' a bit for tomorrow's race. My friend enjoys dismissing a 10km run as small and easy; even though this is my 4th 10km race, it still feels like a huge mountain to climb. No run today so the mind thought about tomorrow, I watched it rain today and silently prayed for rain for my race. The plan is for the mil to watch the kids while I race (other half at work), and she considered coming along to the race ('to say I told you so if you collapse') but she decided the housework was urgent (bless her). Her concern is deeply touching but equally as deeply unnecessary. My main aim is to run the race non-stop, to do a PB would of course be fantastic, but thinking of the bigger picture, that being the half marathon, speed isn't as important as endurance. If I cannot run 6.2 miles non stop right now, then the half marathon will be almost impossible. But my sore throat aside, I am feeling fit and strong, and ready to take on the challenge. Running kit washed and dried, ready for tomorrow; feeling nervous, but not too much, quite excited too, racing gets my adrenaline pumping, and to think there was a time I was killing myself with nerves (a mental slap for me). It's a fun run, I remind myself, got to have fun :o)

No comments: