Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lone Runner Plus One

Monday: The right foot was a pain this morning, aching strongly. I didn't expect to get out for a run, I was busy all day with the interview panel shortlisting. But one always holds out hope. The meeting ended early, allowing me some quiet time for contemplation, which is not always possible at home these days. Later, I realised that 'family stuff' would be an obstacle and a half in the way of running, and not only was I supposed to run, but I very much felt like I needed it. Putting morals aside and adopting cunning that I usually look down on, I persuaded the other half to join me for a run, lying I was keen on him running with me, appealing to his ego (through gritted teeth). It (surprisngly) worked, and as uneasy as I was to behave like this, I silenced the little voice in my head and hurried through a few stretches before heading out. The only way I was going to get a run this evening was by taking the other half with me, so I decided it was worth it for the sake of a run. He was short for time (another reason that he decided to come with me instead of going to the gym) so I went through an easy-to-remember route with him, expecting our paces to be very different. We set off fine, I had music playing on the mobile's loudspeaker and the pace was a little faster than I usually did, but doable. It was a cloudy evening with cool winds, good running weather. I was a little underprepared for today's run but I just kept a steady pace, the target was 30mins. Around 10mins, the other half was gulping his drinks bottle and asking when we would be turning round, I gestured to a not too far lamp post. He stopped to walk at 12mins, and I carried on, and rightly or wrongly, I was grinning and boosted by this! He didn't see my face, thankfully, I was really bouncing to know I had been able to carry on for longer than him, he who prides himself on being very fit (and definitely is much more so than me). I kept going to the assigned lamp post, then turned back, catching up with him, at which point he began to run too (petty, but then I can't take any higher moral ground). He walked/ran the rest of the route, I kept at my own pace. Today felt quite tough in bits, feeling tired from yesterday's race, the legs were pushed hard. But I felt a lot stronger than I expected for a post-race run, and post-run, I felt very good, exhilirated further by doing so well in comparison to the other half (hush, my ego!). I covered 2.98miles in 29mins 58secs. I need to up my mileages but I am pretty much following the programme. I can feel my stamina is really building up for the half marathon, feeling stronger and positive about it.

No comments: