Sunday, July 20, 2008

Looking To Sunday's Race

Friday: The throat was better today, still achey but I had woken up hoarse yesterday, barely able to speak, and there was a real improvement today. After waving off the relatives, I got out for a run late, around 8pm. My first run in 4 days, I was almost nervous, but as soon as I started to walk, I was glad to be out. The legs felt hungry to run, I really enjoyed stretching them this evening. I kept the run fairly controlled and focused, the weather was cool, no sun, and I felt quite strong. The target was 30mins but I felt I could have kept running, the legs felt that strong, and the lungs seemed able to cope. I seriously thought about just going on and on, stopping till only when it got too difficult to carry on. But my sensible head kept telling me to be careful in not overdoing things, since I plan to do a 10km race on Sunday. Otherwise, I would have been pushing for 40 or 50mins. The run ended on a downhill slope, bucketing down, felt like pure heaven :o) I ran for 32mins 59secs, covering 3.07miles. Later, the right foot ached somewhat but my focus is on Sunday. I had known about the Children's Aid 10km Fun Run for weeks but didn't think about it much, till today; I rang up the organisers for a chat about it, and I made up my mind to do it, a race every month if I can. Also, great trainer wants me to do a 60min run on Sunday, and I have never done a 10km in less than 66mins, so the race covers my training time fine. I am quite excited about it, I am definitely a little addicted to races now, and oh yes, there is a guarantee of a medal this time, so that little bit more to look forward to! But even better is that the money raised goes to local charities and I want my running to mean something to others, as well as me. If it makes a difference to those in need, then there is a real and deeper purpose to my running.

No comments: