Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Head, Heart, Mind, Body

Tuesday: I wasn't pleased to get a text to run today - 4 days in a row?? As much as I love running, this programme is pushing me to my limits! I was fairly sure I wouldn't have time to run today, nor did I have much desire to, but after a chat with my personal trainer, I change my mind. Also, there was a great deal on my mind, and I was desperate to get out of the house. At a point where I was about to explode, I quickly decided to get out for a run, leaving without a warm-up or a proper meal or drink. All of this definitely affected my performance; I spent the first 10mins on the phone, as I ran, which helped the time go quickly. My pace was steady but then it got a lot harder and I wasn't in control for most of the run. To make things worse, my right foot ached very strongly throughout. I had made a doctor's appointment for Friday earlier in the day, since I woke up in a state verging on pain, which can't be normal. I hoped the ache/pain would go away but I felt it keenly today. This was the main reason for cutting short my run, doing 22mins instead of the advised 25mins, covering 2.14miles; I was worried about injury, about worsening something that wasn't a big problem right now. Post-run, I felt fine, I was able to walk/run home. At least I got a run in today, it wasn't the most satisfying, for many reasons, but it was better than nothing. I headed home after the run, quite upset, a lot on my mind, I had rather hoped a run would help more than it did. But it isn't a miracle cure for everything, of course. Tomorrow is a rest day, not sure if I will rest, if I want to rest; got to bear in mind that as much as I might need a run emotionally, I need to make sure I am sensible and let my head rule over my heart when it comes to training.

No comments: